Thursday, December 11, 2008

Potato Pancakes using instant potatoes

I finally had the perfect opportunity to make potato cakes tonight, using instant potatoes. My son brought a friend home from school today. It was nearly dinner time, so I invited the friend for dinner. He said he just got a new retainer and that he needed only soft food. I'm thinking that potato pancakes were just the ticket!

I was taking pictures as I cooked for the family, so I wasn't as organized as usual. I'm just warning you!

The potato cakes recipe is at this link.

Begin with about 2 cups pre-made instant potatoes. Tip # 1...make sure they are thick.
Add 1/4 c. flour and stir.

Add 2 eggs and stir. You'll notice that my potatoes aren't very thick. This was a problem when it came time to flip the cake on the griddle. I'm thinking that leftover potatoes would be better because they would be thicker with less moisture in them. Also, if you separate the eggs, just add the yolks initially, then whip the whites and fold them in at the end, it would make more of a souffle type potato pancake.


I had cooked up a package of bacon earlier in the week. I had a bunch I got for free after coupons, and I need to use it up and make room in my freezer. So, I chopped up about 3 strips of bacon.



Stir in the bacon.....


I added about 1/2 c. grated cheddar cheese.



I love Lawry's garlic powder....so I added about 1 tsp, along with some pepper. I didn't add salt because I figured there was plenty in the bacon, cheese and instant potatoes. Add salt at your own risk!

Heat up your griddle or frying pan. I love my cast iron griddle.


I literally poured my pancakes onto the griddle. I tried to add more potato pearls to make it thicker. It is really better to have thick potatoes to begin with.


Flipping these is a bit difficult if they are thin. Again, using leftover mashed potatoes or instant mashed potatoes is the key to a nice pancake.


I served these with chicken breast strips and mandarin oranges in a cup. The guys garnished these with ketchup and really liked them. They each ate 3 of the pancakes along with the chicken and fruit. The recipe made about 10 potato pancakes. Let me know if you make them and how you liked them.

5 comments:

Christy said...

Those look yummy. I was so excited to see your griddle. I have one that looks just like it. I got it to cook my tortillas on.
The griddle is one of my favorite things! I don't make the tortillas, but I buy some that need to be cooked and they are SO SO good!
Trish has urged me to try your bread recipe next time I make bread. I think I will. If I do I'll link back to your post.spocal

Cheryl said...

I tried this recipe tonight, and the potato pancakes were absolutely delicious! My family loved them!
I used instructions on the instant potatoes box that was for 3-4 servings. The potato mixture remained appropriately thick. I also used the suggestion of separating the eggs and whipping the two egg whites with a mixer before stirrig them into the mixture. This made the pancakes deliciously fluffy and light.
In addition to the other seasonings, I added 1/2 c. reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese and
1/4 c. of packaged real crumbled bacon. I fried them in canola oil.
This recipe actually made 12 medium potato pancakes. We ate ours with baked fish portions, veggies, and sliced cantalope. Wow! What a great meal! Thanks very much! Cheryl

Glenda said...

Cheryl, I'm so glad that your family enjoyed the recipe! We made mashed potatoes last night with our Valentine's meal, and I have some leftovers. I think I'll make some potato pancakes with the leftovers!

raenad said...

Thanks for this great recipe! My mom used to make potato cakes when I was a little girl, and I was excited to be able to make my own. I love the variations on it that you've shown! I made mine with four cheese instant mashed potatoes to go with baked flounder and it was so good, I had to force myself to stop eating! Thanks! :)

The Budget Diet said...

The Budget Diet girl loves recipes that use leftovers! Thanks!