I decided to go ahead and sprout some lentils. I have several sprouters, but I'm especially fond of the Easysprout sprouter. It is truly the best manual sprouter on the market. Anyway, the nice thing about the Easysprout sprouter, is that it takes up so little space, and it is very easy to use.
Recipe for growing lentil sprouts. Decide how much to sprout. A good place to begin is 1/4-1/2 cup.
- Examine lentils for dirt or small rocks. Pick out anything that isn't a lentil and discard
- Rinse thoroughly. You can do this right in the Easysprout sprouter. Place lentils in the inner cup. Run water over the top and let it run through the inner cup.
- Place inner cup inside of outer cup, and fill with water. Have water come several inches above the lentils. Leave to soak for 12 hours. Overnight works great.
- Pull inner cup out and drain. Discard soak water. Great for watering your plants!
- Rinse every twelve hours. Continue to do this until the lentils are sprouted to your satisfaction.
|sprouted lentils 24 hours past soak|
|sprouted lentils 48 hours past soak|
I like using the lentils at this point. I don't want them to form leaves. These are perfect for garden burgers, chili or stirfry. See my post on using sprouted lentils in stirfry here.