Saturday, January 31, 2009

Broccoli Salad with Bacon

For dinner tonight, I made this wonderful Broccoli Salad and served it with leftover risotto, and sweet barbecue chicken wings (got these and used a beer rebate for cheap wings).

The most expensive part of this recipe is the broccoli. I bought the crowns only and paid $1.30 for them. I got just enough for the recipe, which serves 4. The bacon I had only paid $0.50 (after coupon), and have stored it in the freezer. We don't eat much bacon, but it is nice to have on hand if I can get it for such a low price.

When purchasing broccoli, make sure you are getting tight bud heads that are dark green, no yellow. Cut the flowerettes off leaving about 1 inch of stem, and then split these lengthwise to make smaller, bite size pieces.

Dice the celery....


Add each item to the broccoli....here I just dumped in the red onion and celery.

My husband ate the seedless red grapes that I was going to use in this recipe.....yep, major failure to communicate on my part. So, I just did without them. I did add the raisins (which he hates...but I love!) and the sunflower seeds.
I cooked up a pound of bacon, half went into this recipe, and the other half into the refried beans I have cooking in the crock pot (I'll post this recipe later tonight). Isn't this looking yummy?
You can make your own dressing or use ready made. I had gotten Kraft dressing at a great deal a while back, so just used some creamy poppy seed dressing.

Broccoli Salad with Bacon

2 c. broccoli flowerettes, cut into bite sized pieces
1/2 lb cooked bacon, chopped or crumbled
1/2 c. chopped celery
1 c. seedless grapes, cut in half
1/2 c. raisins
1/4 c. diced red onion

Dressing
1/2 c. mayo
2 tbsp sugar,
1 1/2 tsp cider vinegar

Whisk together and pour over salad.

No comments: