Saturday, January 24, 2009

Martha Stewart's Carrot-Cake Cookies

I usually try and post healthy food choices on this blog, but it was very chilly yesterday, and I was in the mood to bake. This cookie recipe from Martha Stewart ( got it from Everyday Food, Holiday Issue 2006) is fantastic. I can eat 1 or 2 of these cookies, and not feel like blowing the whole diet. Here is the recipe:

8 TBSP (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted (note: I used 5 TBSP and it turned out great)
1/2 c. packed light-brown sugar
1/4 c. granulated sugar
1 large egg yolk
3/4 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1 c. old fashioned rolled oats
3/4 c. packed finely grated peeled carrots
1/3 c. dried currants (I used raisins)

Preheat oven to 350* Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Cream the butter and sugars, then mix in the egg yolk. Add the dry ingredients and mix. Since I used less butter, I used the Rachel Ray method of using my hands to mix. Here is a picture of the cookie dough.

Make up some frosting using:

4 oz. softened cream cheese
2 TBSP softened butter
1 /4 c. powdered sugar
1 tsp fresh lemon juice

Here is a picture of them just out of the oven, transferred to a cookie cooling rack. Bake for about 10 minutes.


And here are some frosted. I served these to the 2 guys that were here to clean my carpet. They thought that Martha came up with a really good recipe!


If you are in the mood to bake, you will love these!

4 comments:

Kristen said...

I like the idea of a carrot cookie; like personal sized cake. These look really yummy.

Sleepless In St. George said...

There are carrots in it...that means it counts as a vegetable, right? So eat 12 of them and I have my daily serving of vegetables?

Norah said...

Oh those look good. My husband likes carrot cake but I don't. I may have to try the cookies.

Lizzie said...

Mm I've been eyeing this recipe in the Marth Stewart Cookies cookbook for some time now, and I think I'll really have to give them a try. Looks great!

-Lizzie @ Every Last Cookie