Saturday, January 24, 2009

Ginger-Cumin Infused Carrot, Zucchini and Chickpea "Pasta"

This delicious recipe comes to us from Natural Health magazine. I really enjoyed this as my dinner entree last night. This could be served with some rice, which I will make up and serve next time I make this dish.

Here is the recipe:

2 large zucchini or 1 large zucchini and 1 large yellow squash
2 large carrots
1 can chick peas, drained
1 medium onion
2 TBSP olive oil
1 c. organic, low sodium vegetable broth
1 1-inch knob of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp freshly ground pepper
salt to taste


First, using a vegetable peeler, slice the zucchini and carrots into long, fettuccine-like strips. Set aside.


Next, using a mandolin, slice the onion into very thin pieces.


Separate the pieces, and heat them in the olive oil over medium heat for about 5 minutes.






Add the broth, zucchini and carrots. Cook for about 3-4 minutes. Don't overcook. You'll notice that I used chicken broth, which is what I had on hand.





Add chickpeas, ginger, cumin, salt and pepper. I notice I forgot to include the picture of this.



Simmer until done, and taste to adjust seasonings. Serve hot. I thought this was so delicious. Like I said, I think it would pair well with some cooked rice. I didn't have a zucchini, so just used the yellow squash. I also cut the recipe in half and it turned out great. I think I forgot to half the amount of broth....didn't bother me! I hope you'll try this and let me know how you liked it.

No comments: