Monday, February 2, 2009

7 Layer Bean Dip: using food storage

Using the pinto beans from my food storage and making refried beans (posted here), I made a 7 Layer Bean Dip. Here are the ingredients:

2 cans refried beans (I used 4 cups of homemade)
Blend It Up Southwest Spice Blend
1 container guacamole, or 2 avocados mashed with 1 tsp lemon juice
4 green onions, chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
1/2 c. salsa
4 oz. cheddar cheese, grated
1 small can black olives
1 c. sour cream

Here is my 1 1/2 quart casserole with my beans in it.

I sprinkled the Blend It Up Southwest Blend on top of the beans.


I used the avocados I had on hand...


I mashed them with a fork and added about 1/2 c. of Salsa to it to make a spicy guacamole. I also added 1 tsp lemon juice.


Layer the guacamole on top of the beans.


Take your green onions, and chop them up...


First layer your sour cream on the guacamole layer, then sprinkle the chopped green onions on top.


Next, add the chopped tomatoes.....looking real good!


Add the grated cheese and chopped black olives (I forgot to buy the olives....).



Serve with corn chips or as a side dish. This was a big hit at our house last night! Who says that food storage can't be yummy? Enjoy!

This is the refried beans that I had left over. I just put them into freezer containers, labeled them, and put them in the freezer for later use.




7 Layer Bean Dip on Foodista

7 comments:

Sleepless In St. George said...

I love 7 layer dip...do you have to mash the beans after they cook in the crockpot or do they come out they way they look in the picture?

Glenda said...

sleepless, I kind of mashed them along the way...thanks for asking!

annalene said...

that looks absolutely delicious! :)

~~louise~~ said...

Hi Glenda!
I'm thinking about posting for National Canned Food Month, (February) and I think your terrific recipe, and your approach, would make a wonderful addition. I'm "harvesting" the link, just in case:)

Thanks for sharing...

Glenda said...

louise, feel free to "harvest" the link! I checked out your blog...love it! Glenda

Unknown said...

Great post, Glenda! Looks delicious. Would love a link to it from our site Foodista.com.(This will direct Foodista readers to your blog - great way to build traffic) Here's how you can create inbound links from our site Check it out here. Thanks!

~~louise~~ said...

Thanks Glenda. I've added your blog to my custom search engine so it's always handy...

Thanks for visiting my blog. Your words are greatly appreciated...