Friday, October 3, 2008

Fresh Ground Cinnamon

Today for breakfast I had one of my favorites; cottage cheese and applesauce. I know, you're thinking, yuck, right?! This is one of my favorite summertime breakfasts. It is filling, and tastes great. Where does the cinnamon come in you ask? I grind the cinnamon right on top. YUM! This applesauce pictured I made from dehydrated apple slices (from my food storage) that I reconstituted using 1 part dried apples to 1 part hot water. You let it sit for 5 minutes, then put it in the blender (or in my case, the vitamix). This is the best applesauce! You can add sugar to it or not. I like applesauce to be a little thicker, not runny, so this works well for our family.

Here is the cinnamon I use for topping my cottage cheese/applesauce. It is a grinder that you can buy at the grocery store, right in the spice aisle. I think I got these on buy one get one free sale. This is really good cinnamon. I have given these as gifts to my friends, and they love it too.
Now with the weather beginning to turn autumn like, you may want to use your cinnamon for a warmer breakfast. I recommend cooked oatmeal, topped with applesauce served with a healthy amount of ground cinnamon! You might just think that you are eating apple pie! Let me know if you try it, and how you like it.

No comments: