Thursday, March 17, 2011

Broccoflower Salad for St. Patrick's Day

Looking for something green to eat today besides green cookies or cupcakes with artificial coloring? Serve a Broccoflower Salad with dinner tonight. Actually, this salad is great any time of the year, but the color is perfect for today. I made mine up today for lunch, and served it on a green leaf lettuce. First, finely chop a head of broccoflower into pieces no bigger than 1/2". I only use the flowerettes. This is what it should look like, below.
I found some Brussels sprouts in the vegetable bin in the refrigerator. After washing, I cut off the ends, and thinly sliced them. You can use a mandoline, or can cut them with a sharp chopping knife. If you don't have Brussels sprouts, don't sweat it! I needed to use mine up.
This is what it looks like after adding the 10 small sliced Brussels sprouts.
Next, wash a couple of celery stalks. I cut them in 3 pieces lengthwise, then chopped them up.
If you have bacon, cook up 4-6 pieces until crisp. Cool, then chop into small pieces. I rarely have bacon on hand, but I do keep bacon bits in the fridge. I added about 1/2 c. If you want to keep this meatless, omit the bacon, or use a substitute bacon product.


Looking good! You are going to love this salad!
At this point, rummage through your fridge. I added a couple of teaspoons of hot spicy mustard left over from a cheese/cracker gift pack at Christmas. Add up to 1 c. mayo, 1/8 c. Parmesan cheese (I grated mine into the bowl, you can use whatever you have on hand), 1 TBSP sugar (or not...I didn't), 1 tsp salt, 2 tsp pickle juice (just drained some off from my bread and butter pickles) and 1 TBSP dried onion. You can add 1/4 c. sunflower seeds and 1/2 c. raisin if you like. I added the sunflower seeds, but forgot to add the raisins. Bummer.
Don't be afraid to experiment with what you have on hand in the way of condiments and add-ins. Mix it all together, and serve on a lettuce leaf as a main dish or just serve it as a side with your other food items. Enjoy!

No comments: