Saturday, March 12, 2011

Weight Watcher Fruit and Honey Bars

Here is a fantastic recipe for a homemade granola bar of sorts. I found the recipe in Weight Watchers magazine. Normally, I wouldn't be tempted to try this kind of recipe, because they never taste very good. I'm glad I did try this, because not only does it taste good, but it is low in WW point and calories. Not only that, but I have all of the ingredients in my food storage!



Fruit and Honey Bars

Prep 20 minutes, Bake 20 minutes, Serves 20


1/3 c. honey

2 large eggs (you can use powdered)

1/2 tsp salt

1 c. old fashioned rolled oats

1/2 c. instant nonfat dry milk

1/2 c. each: shelled unsalted pumpkin seeds

unsweetened shredded coconut

ground flax seed

dried apricots, chopped

dried cherries

1/4 c. whole wheat flour


Preheat the oven to 350*F. Line a 9" square baking pan with nonstick foil. Beat honey, eggs and salt with a fork in a small bowl until blended. Put the rest of the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add the honey mixture to the dry ingredients and pulse until mixture is slightly moistened. Press dough into baking pan until in is uniformly even. Bake until center is set, and edges are lightly browned. Let cool 10 minutes. Using foil, transfer the bar from pan to cutting board. Cut into 20 1 1/2" bars. Let cool completely, peel off foil.


1 bar is: 118 calories, 5 gm total fat, 2 gm sat fat, 16 gm total carb, 10 gm total sugar, 2 gm fiber, 4 gm protein My notes: I did not use the foil, but lightly greased the pan with butter. I did not use a food processor, but just chopped the dried apricots with a knife. I used raisins because I didn't have any dried cherries. I stirred everything together with a spoon. I preheated the oven, and the baking time was 20 minutes.


I really love this bar. I will have a couple with some yogurt for breakfast. Yummy! Give it a try and let me know how you like it.

2 comments:

Rachelle said...

I love recipes like this. I am going to give them a try.

Wendy said...

This was good...I used cranberries instead of cherries, sunflower seeds instead of pumpkin, and used almond meal in place of the nonfat milk powder....because those are the things I had in the pantry. I sprayed the pan with floured spray and they came out great! Thanks! Always looking for a kid friendly bar that doesn't have a ton of junk in it!