Monday, March 14, 2011

Roasted Vegetable and Pesto Sandwich

I was doing a little blog hopping when I came across a post for a roasted vegetable and pesto sandwich. I just happened to have all of the ingredients, so I decided to give it a go. WOW! What great flavor and it is wonderfully nutritious as well. Can't beat that! Here is what the finished product looked like... Since I didn't want to fire up the grill, I decided to pan roast the veges on my trusty vintage cast iron griddle. It is so well seasoned that I don't have to use much olive oil. I did use my mandoline to slice the zucchini the long way, and to make the other vegetables (red pepper, portobello mushroom and onion) uniformly sliced.
I forgot the onion, and had to "roast" it separately. I was going for caramelized sweet onion. It turned out really nicely.
I put about a level tablespoon of pesto on each side of a 100 calorie Oroweat sandwich thins.
I bought the pesto at Costco...don't have much basil in the garden this time of year.
I put the pan roasted veges on the sandwich thins...
Next, I put a few small, fresh mozzarella balls on the sandwich (microwaved for 15 seconds to get them to melt a bit). I'm not kidding, the first bite was heavenly :) . I mean, look at this baby!

This is my new favorite lunch item! And Weight Watcher friendly, too!
Hungry yet?

No comments: