Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Sprouts: a progress report

A lot of people have been asking me about sprouting, so I thought I'd share what I know about sprouts. I've been doing sprouts now for many years. They are really great in a salad or on a sandwich. They are so nutritious and very tasty! I have a recipe for a wonderful sprout burger that I'll share with you by the end of the week. But, for now, I just wanted to show you how my sprouts are doing. I soak a couple of tablespoons worth of sprouting seed in a custard cup over night, then pour the seeds into a sprouting tray. I lightly rinse the sprouts a couple of times a day. They need the moisture to continue sprouting.

This first picture is of adzuki bean sprouts. If you click on the picture, so can see the beans just beginning to sprout.

These are lentil sprouts, and they are really starting to take off! The tray that you see just barely on the left is full of broccoli sprouts.

So, make sure you check back often for the continuing daytime drama of how the beans sprouted! They will be on the chopping block soon ......to be continued!

3 comments:

Trish said...

I'm very intrgiued by this thing you call sprouting. LOL
I am familiar with bean sprouts that I buy in a plastic bag at the grocery store.
And umm...it suddenly occurs to me that I have no idea what the sprouts in the plastic clamshell container that I use on my sandwiches are. Alfalfa?
As you can see, I have a lot to learn.
I'll be waiting anxiously for updates and recipes. :)

pebble said...

I add GSE (Grapefruit Seed Extract) to the first soaking water when I sprout, once I started this I never had any trouble with mold, mildew or unwanted anything growing in my sprouts. Give it a try, it only takes a few drops. We grow sprouts constantly for my dd's four Eclectus Parrots and the GSE makes the sprouts hold up well and last longer and is totally natural and healthy!

Glenda said...

pebble, thanks for the tip! I'm going to give it a try.